Tuesday, January 16, 2018

This Girl's Breakfast w/Spoonie Tips

Always striving for a better Wahls' Protocol effort, in the morning I sometimes falter.  Cognition is the last part of me that wakes up, so sometimes I stumble around for a while with coffee before I can pull together something to line the stomach so I can handle all the supplements and pills I take. When short on time, it's a piece of Ezekiel toast with NaturAlmond almond butter (the best in the world IMO.  But the Ezekiel is non-compliant! In short, I know I can do better, so I open up the crisper instead.

Properly prepped, a mitochondria-feeding panful like this comes together in a matter of minutes. I used a whole large head of baby bok choy (still 2 cups after cooking), two large garlic cloves and a third of a pack of organic, nitrate-free bacon. The piquant addition of umeboshi plum vinegar at the end was amazing.

Nobody else here eats bacon, so I cut the package into thirds and freeze the parts I'm not using.  I leave them in the original wrapping so they don't stick together inside the freezer bag.  That way I can only use one third at a time. They don't even need to be thawed when I need to cook them. I just put the bacon in the pan on a low heat and turn it often, separating the pieces with two forks as they soften. This is easily accomplished at the same time I'm chopping whatever else is going into the pan.

Remember that only two cloves of garlic count as one of your 9 cups of vegetables in the Wahls' Protocol.  I like to cut them into large pieces like this instead of mincing them.  That way they don't burn as easily and the flavor is so mellow and delicious.

First I fully cooked the bacon, then moved it to the side and piled the garlic and mushroom onto it so they could begin to warm while I seared the bok choy pieces in the bacon fat at a slightly higher heat.  Though it's tempting to peak, I tried not to so the first edge could get nicely cooked.  Pretty soon it was time to turn the bok choy and give the other side a sear.  Once the leaves started to wilt, everything got stirred together for a minute and it was done.  I added the vinegar at the end -- just a splash.  Mmmmm.  Three veggies accomplished and a sustaining start to the day!

No comments:

Post a Comment