Saturday, January 27, 2018

Fire Cider

I've never tasted this, but the idea of a homemade elixir to combat every manner of winter germ is intriguing.  Also, the flavor combos in some of these recipes sound delish.  Really it should be called fire vinegar, since apple cider vinegar is the medium for the magic, but I guess it should be consumed in small doses along with a carrier beverage.  I'll read up more on it as it becomes ready for consumption -- in a month's time.

I started filling my jar with ingredients from a recipe at Mountain Rose Herbs, but my proportions were based upon what I had on hand, and I added a few other things that I thought would be good in the mix.  Homegrown fresh rosemary, half an onion, a few crushed garlic cloves, a couple of star anise pods, some chopped ginger, minced horseradish, a chopped jalapeno, roasted chipotle flakes, fennel seed and ground turmeric are the chosen goodies for my first batch.  I'll need to shake it every day and wait a month.  Delayed gratification is not my favorite, so this'll be a good exercise for me.  I will update anything pertinent I learn along the way.

No comments:

Post a Comment