Thursday, February 22, 2018

Fire Cider Update

Not surprisingly, I did jump the gun on the timeframe for this fire cider.  If you'll remember, on January 27, I crafted this tonic from apple cider vinegar, onion, garlic, horseradish, star anise, red pepper, rosemary, ginger, jalapeno, fennel seed and turmeric.  At the time, I doubted my patience regarding the recommended month's fermentation.

Sure enough, this morning, I just "felt" it was ready.  It had been busy and bubbling, enticing me to open the crock with its sparkling energy.  I think I was right.  The 25 days or so seemed to be enough.  Here is a shot of it before I drained and bottled it.  You can see the vegetables and spices are soft and fully integrated into the liquid.  Here is how I bottled it:

First, I put my colander inside a larger bowl, and cut a length of cheesecloth long enough to be able to wring out the contents, squeezing out each healing drop of the cider.  My colander has holes instead of mesh.  You may be able to skip the cheesecloth if your colander is tight enough.
And . . . the finished product:  gorgeous, no?  I had to try some right away.  YOWZA this stuff is powerful!!  Delicious, but whoa, nelly, this could kill any germ. It really is delicious, in a "hurts so good" kind of way.  I could only drink an ounce or two, which is good because that's the dose [I read this after I took it].

Fire cider is purported to solve seasonal allergies and ward off viruses [flu!!] and harmful bacteria.  Also, taken before meals, it stabilizes blood sugar and helps with digestion.

I took my dose straight, but most folks add something.  The cursory research I performed yielded these potential mixers:  a spoonful of honey, orange juice, bone broth [hmm -- like a hot and sour soup, I guess?], kombucha, seltzer water and vodka [! now we're talkin'].

Remember, friends, this fire cider is adapted from an ancient home remedy.  Though it holds the wisdom of countless old wives, use it sparingly, medicinally, lest you singe your innards.  If it's a vodka fire cider tonic you choose, let it be your one and only.  I'm not a doctor, nor do I play one on TV.  To your health!

No comments:

Post a Comment