Tuesday, January 2, 2018

For 2018: Health First

 A theme that resonates with me, and that I've noticed over and over again lately, is:  Health First. This isn't just another catch-phrase referring to the general intent to try to be healthy.  This means putting on my own oxygen mask before assisting others.  Assertiveness is sometimes difficult for us spoonies.  We are frequently depleted and unfocused and it's all we can do to go through the motions of busy family life without giving much thought to our own needs -- until we collapse.  Since we are the only ones in our own challenged bodies, it makes sense that others may not understand we need something different.  Many spoonies need harmony to stay healthy, so that's another reason we might not speak up for ourselves, or put our needs first.  Putting ourselves last is not sustainable, however, and there's no time like the present to change what's not working.

Coincidences, like receiving this "Health First" message from various sources in a short amount of time, encourage self-reflection.  Why does this simple message resonate so?  Aren't I already prioritizing my health? Upon reflection -- no.  What I've been doing lately is squeezing self-care in between other's needs.  I've allowed my support-role status for the whole family to overwhelm my agenda.  It's not their fault.  It's up to me to look out for myself.  It's up to them to look out for themselves.  It's up to all of us to look out for each other.  But in 2018 my own health comes first.

Mindful eating starts in earnest now.  This delicious brunch is all I've eaten today because it was so satisfying. I prepared a whole pan-ful of bacon, onions, kale, Brussels sprouts, leftover baked sweet potato, fresh cranberries and avocado.  No seasoning was needed because this real food was soooo flavorful!  There were about 5 Wahls' Protocol veggie servings here.  Taking the 20 minutes to prepare this healing meal, and mindfully eating it, was a great way to set my health as the priority now.


2 comments:

  1. This looks so gorgeous I---the normally vegetable-averse, and not-too-healthy-an-eater---think I am going to make it. <3 Thank you!

    ReplyDelete