Sunday, September 13, 2015

What I Do With Bacon

As a former vegan, accepting healthy animal fats back into my diet was quite a mental and emotional stretch. This organic, sustainably raised nitrate-free bacon provides building blocks for the regeneration of my brain that are impossible to find in other foods. When I purchase this expensive staple, I always immediately cut the whole package with kitchen shears into four pieces, against the grain so the bacon slices are about 2-3 inches long. Then they all go into freezer bags until I need them. I utilize bacon judiciously in my diet, never wasting it and only cooking what I will eat over a couple of days. I don't need much, but I do find eating this is strengthening and calming to the system, so am hopeful it's helping in my quest for CNS health.

Full grown bok choy is a bit more bitter and peppery than it's milder juvenile version, so a savory-salty bacon is a delicious, mellowing contrast. I can feel my brain cells growing back just looking at this! I also use a little bacon when cooking organic chicken livers, which are much larger and milder in flavor than the non-organic ones. My liver recipe also includes onions, mushrooms, a little balsamic vinegar and plenty of fresh lemon juice.

No comments:

Post a Comment