Saturday, January 21, 2017

Farro Salad

I can't get enough of this amazing salad.  I want to eat it at every meal.

I cooked farro until it was tender but still chewy, then poured it over the juice and zest of a lemon with finely chopped raw onion.  The heat of the grains slightly mellowed the onions and the flavors sank right into the farro.  Next, I stirred in chopped raw asparagus, canned artichoke hearts, raw dill, raw mint, salt, pepper and plenty of olive oil.  Obviously, you can customize the ingredients to suit your tastes.  I only used about 1/4 of onion.  Definitely don't skip the lemon, which is perfect with these flavors and textures.

Farro, the so-called "grandfather" of wheat, is not gluten-free, but this ancient grain seems to be more digestible than modern, genetically modified forms of wheat.  Personally, I'm able to tolerate farro without any of the digestive upset and skin issues that I sometimes get with gluten.  If you can tolerate a little bit of gluten, give this salad a try. 

No comments:

Post a Comment