Friday, May 15, 2015

The Second Cup Smoothie

There were better photos of the smoothie but this one's my favorite because of Ellie Belly Jelly Bean so I'm using it.

My husband had a very early meeting this morning so he woke at 5:30! Because of the early start, I found myself dragging just a tad during my most productive time of day. So I made a coffee smoothie! Smoothies are usually vehicles to incorporate more vegetables into our diets, but just this once I decided to stick only to high-powered ingredients that would go with the flavor of coffee. It was great, and seems to be doing the trick! Here's what I did:

The Second Cup Smoothie

1c. coconut water
1c. coconut milk
1c. room temperature leftover coffee
1 Tbsp. coconut oil
2 heaping Tbsp hemp protein powder
2 Tbsp. cacao or cacao nibs
1 frozen banana
a few ice cubes to finish

In a high-powered blender, combine all ingredients except ice and blend until smooth. Taste the smoothie and make adjustments for flavor. A little more banana will add subtle sweetness but if you like it sweeter, incorporate a sweetener of your choice. Add ice and blend until frothy.

For those of you who've never tried hemp powder, the strong chocolate flavor of the cacao cancels out any perceptible hemp flavor. It would do the same with avocado if you decided on that as a fat source. You could obviously customize this type of smoothie in so many ways. Deleting the coconut water and using more of the fatty coconut milk would make it more decadent. So would almond butter. Or how about adding a big handful of fresh mint instead? Enjoy making it yours.

2 comments:

  1. How adorable is that puppy of yours! The smoothie looks great, too. :) I'm not too good with coffee. It makes me a little jittery. Every now and again its a nice treat, though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sally! Love that lil' old Ellie -- she's an angel. Good for you for steering clear of coffee most of the time. Truth be told, it makes me jittery too, so I normally keep it to a cup a day. I tried going off it once but didn't like how stupid I felt without it. May try again someday!

      Delete