Wednesday, July 19, 2017

Potato Without a Cause

Sometimes my impulse groceries get ahead of me before I formulate a plan.  Months ago a sweet potato began enthusiastically sprouting on my counter and I enjoyed watching its progress instead of eating it.  When it began forming lovely, heart-shaped leaves, I began rooting for the root, so I put the whole potato in a pot.  It's so happy now!

The vines are splaying everywhere, so I got the bright idea to eat them.  They are wonderful! I harvest sweet potato leaves almost every day and it seems they grow back more quickly than I can eat them.  I saute them in coconut oil along with onions, mushrooms, a few kale leaves, fresh cherry tomatoes from my garden and handfuls of fresh herbs -- whatever the garden has most of.  I usually add a shake of cumin and sea salt, and maybe some nutritional yeast.  This happy potato is the gift that keeps on giving -- I'm so glad I didn't eat it!

No comments:

Post a Comment