Monday, October 27, 2014

Yoda's Swampy Chocolate Smoothie

Despite Dr. Wahl's warning against juicing, it's always made me feel so much better, so I continue to juice. But now mindful of the warned glycemic spike, I make an effort to take my time while consuming juice, and have also added smoothies (approved by Dr. Wahls) as an occasional alternative.

This swampy, chocolatey delight really provides a wallop of a wakeup in the morning, and is chewy enough to push all my supplements down the gullet choke-free. This smoothie is the perfect vehicle for 7 of the 9 required cups of fruits and veggies Dr. Wahls prescribes per day. Here's the recipe:

Yoda's Swampy Chocolate Smoothie

  • 6 cups raw greens of your choice, tightly packed in the Vitamix:  spinach is delish in this, but I've also enjoyed romaine
  • 1 cup frozen berries of your choice -- I like blueberries
  • 1 frozen banana
  • 1/2 cup coconut milk
  • 2 Tbsp. Raw Organic Cacao powder
  • 1 Tbsp. Organic Hemp Protein powder
  • enough coconut water to get everything moving (I used 1 cup chocolate coconut water)
  • a drizzle of organic, local honey if you like, or molasses or real maple syrup -- be careful not to add too much: you just want a complement, not a dominant flavor
Grind it all up until smooth. You may find a couple of ice cubes at the end will enhance the texture. I've sometimes enjoyed this basic smoothie formula with a dollop of almond butter and/or a sprinkle of cinnamon. Even a pinch of sea salt might be nice with the chocolate. 

This makes more than a glassful, so you can share some or put a bonus lidded bottle-full in the fridge for a late-morning pick-me-up. Smoothie mornings are great for getting right to work. Doesn't my smoothie look exactly like something Yoda would have scooped out of his swamp for you? This glassful isn't pretty, but healthy and productive, it will make you. Listen to Yoda.

No comments:

Post a Comment